Thursday, March 21, 2013

Welcome and Introduction

Welcome to Jason McIntyre Custom Furniture Blog! I plan to use this blog to showcase some of my woodworking projects, tell about different skills and techniques that I'm learning, show potential clients the type of work I can do, and post pictures of my work.

So here is a little bit about me... I'm a father of two wonderful kids, Boston and Story! I have the most amazing wife, Emylee, and we are expecting our third child this July. We decided we would wait to find out the gender and we couldn't be more excited for our new addition!  I grew up in Virginia and now live in the Sacramento, California area now.  I am a sustainability project manager for a green building consulting firm and really enjoy the work that I do.

As far as woodworking goes, I grew up in a home that was originally built in 1878 and my dad did lots of the finish carpentry. He did the trim and moulding, doors, wainscoting, and even several fireplace mantles in the house, and had a dedicated workshop to make plenty of sawdust. At the time, I wasn't to interested in making furniture, but made anything from a tree house, skate ramps, canoe paddle, to a dog sled.  It wasn't until 2011 that I finally had enough space to start woodworking and start making fun, creative and functional furniture. 

It started out of necessity. My at the time two-year old son needed to move up to a twin sized bed. We shopped for a new bed and there was nothing that we liked under $300. We looked on craigslist and nothing was coming up. For $200 I could buy all the lumber we needed and my first real woodworking tool, a circular saw.

Here is the finished product:

With each new project I would aquire a new tool and learn some technique for the first time.  I hope you enjoy this blog and please comment, leave feedback, post ideas, or HIRE ME to build you something!

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome Jason! I wish I could come learn your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason, It's Cameron from the mish. What kind of joints did you use on that bed? Did you use pine? I've been getting ready to build a twin bed and that is the exact look I had in mind. I was planning on using pine but I wasn't sure if common board would be straight enough or if I should buy the surfaced boards at HD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cameron, thanks for visiting my blog and the comment. I will send you a private message on facebook, but for other readers, I will comment here on the blog too. On this bed I did use pine and when I was getting started out, I mostly bought wood from Home Depot. You can pick your boards at Home Depot, so just choose straight ones. You dont need to pay for the "surfaced" boards or whatever they are that are almost 2x expensive. Hope that helps.

      Delete